Wednesday, September 9, 2009

We Were Where the Pine Trees Grow

It is one thing to live in Southern California and be lucky enough to live in a canyon, with a two lane road, no traffic, no city noise and fresh air but it is a totally different feeling being in Salt Lake City. The trees are taller (I'm talking tall), the grass is greener, the mountains are more majestic, they actually have 4 seasons, and the definition of rush hour traffic is similar to our definition of traveling on the 405 through the SFV at noon on a Saturday (no joke). So for those of you that have never been you can wipe the drool from your face now.

We spent the last week in the SLC, Tucker's native land where he was born and partially raised until the family uprooted to California. The plan was to drive up with mom and dad Cannon to see Griffin's first Rugby match and possibly travel to Midway for an annual festivity dubbed Swiss Days. The only change in the plan is we lost out on having dad Cannon with us on our adventure.

So, Friday we headed to Swiss Days with mom Cannon, Sherri, and grandma to meet up with the Sue and Guy. I had never been to Swiss Days but imagined it was a town festival like Topanga Days ( with less hippies and free spirits) so it was a real treat. There are so many fun things to look at and I could have spent time in every booth. Unfortunately, I had Tucker in toe and he had seen all the crafts he wanted to see in 30 minutes to last him a life time. Another splendid surprise that day was that we got to visit the Slagle cabin in Midway. What a beautiful view from the balcony, I have an appreciation for family properties and the great memories that they hold for each member.



























































































Saturday was the big day. To prepare and relax mom Cannon and I went for early morning facials. I continued to be relaxed until I saw the kick off to Griff's Rugby match. One word to describe Rugby, which is a sport that I have never witnessed before, is INTENSE. For the first half I had Steph grasping my arm tightly while gasping for air everytime the ball or other burly players came near her youngest son on the field. Luckily, a visit from the entire Boseman crew (except Tenille) distracted mom from the treacherous game called Rugby. It was so fun to see everyone and to meet Peter's family, and Amy's and Chad's new babies. In the end of the second half Griff got a lovely war wound on his eyebrow and cheek (I'm happy that was the only injury that he sustained in the brutality I was watching on field). I don't want to brag but my littlest brother (in-law) isn't so little anymore, he was the team captain for the game, was faster and more strategic than any of his team mates and obviously has a knack for tackling. Go UVU Rugby!















































































There are always fun times in SLC with whatever adventure we embark on. For this trip some other highlights were:
-sitting on grandma and grandpa Slages patio looking at the Wasatch mountains
-feeling a cool breeze at night (definitely don't get that in a LA summer)
-Salty Peaks (is spending an hour in the place and only coming out with a Salty Peaks t-shirt normal?)
-Sunday dinner at Shauna's (the sweetheart made a separate chicken plate for me)
-hanging out with grandma Slagle (another sweetheart, which is a term she uses often)
-driving up Mill Creek (it looks so different than it does in the winter)
-fishing (well, Tuck did the fishing and I did the supervising)
-spending time with mom Cannon
-visiting with grandpa Cannon and grandma Wanda








2 comments:

Erin C said...

Hey I am just so jealous of your fun trip! Wish I could have been there!!!

d said...

this looks like so much fun! I would have craft shopped with you all day! Funny how Dad Cannon ALWAYS missed out on Swiss Days, even when he lived in SLC. I think he passed his love for crafts onto Tuck. That was so awesome that you were all there for Griff's game. Go griff. I don't think that Tuck has seen Pete or Amy for like 10 years! I bet it was fun to catch up. Geez, sorry for the long comment- I should have just called you! love d