Monday, October 11, 2010

A New Dawn, A New Day, A New Blog

Tomorrow I make a decision if I can still stand hearing five letters strung together ....L A U S D. I've been through the ringer in the last three years, trying to start my career as a elementary school teacher, to struggling to keep my career, to getting the boot, to finding happiness in a temporary job as a substitute teacher, to yet another predicament.

The Employment Development Department notified me last week that LAUSD is disputing my unemployment claim. And I quote, "You do know that your previous employer is disputing your claim, right?" Uh, NO! So, tomorrow I have a phone interview/hearing so that I can plea my case to why I deserve to get Unemployment reimbursement.

LAUSD's case is that they are providing me with work as a day to day substitute teacher, therefore I wouldn't need any EDD reimbursement. What kind of (excuse my French) CRAP is that? In May I received another layoff notice (certified mail) notifying me that my long term substitute position won't be extended to the 2010/11 school year. Duh. In addition to the layoff notice, I am on LAUSD's sub list yet haven't had one phone call to substitute this school year. My case is simple, I received a layoff notice and haven't been provided with any day to day work as a sub. period.

If it is that easy tomorrow I will keep my negative view of LAUSD mum for the time being. I've shed too many tears over the last few years because of LAUSD and I realize that I am as meaningless to them as the actual students who occupy their schools. I'm just a stat that they don't want to pay another dime for.

My new life plan is to look for full time work as a full time classroom elementary school teacher while running my own tutoring business. I started this business last school year, I've been on hiatus, but I'm back- in a different city, with no clients, no word of mouth, no pressure. I'm starting with a new blog @ livelearngrowtutoring.blogspot.com that I plan to debut sometime in the next week, I have cute little business cards that I created, and cute community board tear offs to post at local librarys.

Stop by my new elementary education blog. I would be so grateful if you left a comment and/or became a follower. Tomorrow is a new day, a new start to what should have been ended much earlier.

6 comments:

Erin C said...

so Dr.H has his kids in school there in N.P....let me know if you want me to make come contact with him or something. PS. I may still have my list of schools and contacts from the office for that area...

FightOnAlum said...

hang in there...:)

d said...

You are just another example of a broken system. If they knew what was good for them they would have you working full time and training other teachers on how to reach students and succeed! Love you!!!

FightOnAlum said...

BROKEN SYSTEM is a perfect way to put it.

BTW Tara, havent you done anything fun since then to get your mind of that mess like....go to nephew Bdays or concerts? hint, hint...

Marianna said...

We miss you Tara. I would have loved nothing better then having you as Rhymes second grade teacher. I am sorry we won't be seeing you at Dixie everyday. Random and Rhyme are doing well and we still talk about you. Pretty cool for a teacher we had for only one year ;)
Everyone at Dixie I talk to misses you and says you were wonderful and caring.

It is hard to keep positive in the face of that gargantuan monstrosity called LAUSD. I keep on wanting to leave L.A., someday I may succeed.

I believe you are totally doing the right thing. Keep on working and know that you are making a difference in kids lives. And it all matters.

Smiles, hugs,
Marianna

Sitting in a Tree said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I have such a supportive family.

Marianna, you are so kind. I truly miss Dixie and all my past students. Random and Rhyme will always have a sweet spot in my heart. Please stay in touch.