Sunday, July 26, 2009

I've Been Published!


Well, it's not really me being published. Although, my name is in the very back in small print that states; Ms. Cannon's 2nd grade class, Dixie Canyon Elementary, CA.
This last winter Random House Publishing and Bill Adler called for teachers around the US to have their students write a letter to President Obama on whatever topic they wish. If the students letter was chosen he or she would have their letter published in an editorial book for people of all ages to enjoy. It was perfect timing for my writing lessons because we were learning about writing friendly letters, so it was a sign to me to let the burning minds of my students go to work. After review I was in contact with Bill Alder's people. They notified me that 7 of my students letters would be published in the book. It gets even better....my class had the most letters of any class and any one school published in the US.
My students all received a free copy of the book but their fabulous teacher that got them in there did not. So, I went to Barnes and Noble and wondered around the children's sections, the non-fiction section, the editorial section...umm...no where to be found. I wondered to the front of the store to check out some literature for myself on the new release table, you know, the table right when you walk through the stores' doors. My eyes browsed a few fun titles and as my gaze led to the top of the table there it was "Kids' Letters to President Obama." I grabbed it from the table and had a huge smile on my face, people probably thought I was some sort of crazy smiling at a red white and blue colored book. But the truth was I was like a proud parent for my students.
When I got home Tucker suggested that I should have brought my camping chair from home and started a book signing line at the front of the store. He always has the best ideas.
Please check this book out on Amazon. It is adorably cute, children say funny and heartfelt things to a president that they blindly admire.

2 comments:

M.Kay said...

Congrats! I always knew you would make a great teacher. You should add that book to your resume! It's hard to believe that school gave you a pink slip after an achievement like that!!! I'm proud of you friend!

Sitting in a Tree said...

Thanks Marsh! I did put it on my resume! Unfortunately, it won't save my job.