Monday, April 27, 2009

Trees Need People, People Need Trees

Earth Day is a holiday (yes, a holiday) that many people don't celebrate. I'm proud to say that I celebrated it in the best way, making this the best Earth Day yet.
My students and I got our hands dirty and planted a tree on our school campus and named it Dixie. The Disney corporation funded a 30 tree planting day through the Tree People which happened to be conveniently scheduled on Earth Day. We started our morning with an Earth Day school assembly. Then, we ventured to the far corner of the campus where Brain from Tree People taught us all about how to plant a tree and care for our tree. After we shoveled and took good notes, we read our couplet poems to Dixie. Last, we made a circle around Dixie and said together, "trees need people, people need trees, welcome Dixie!"
Yes, I got my hands dirty too. I promise I'm not just posing with a shovel:) FYI-My Earth Day shirt says, Nature is one BAD madre!





I'll upload the LAUSD board members Galatzan Gazette soon. We were published in a online LAUSD magazine that is sent to all LAUSD PTA members and even the superintendent of LAUSD! Tamar Galatzan recently gained more popularity by being interviewed on a local and national NPR station to advocate about the important issues related to the LAUSD layoffs that many teachers, including myself, are facing.

No comments: