Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm My Own Worst Pet Peeve

I have a secret confession that I am ready to share only because I am a victim of my own pet peeve.
I started shopping at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods a year and a half ago when I began my Gluten Free diet. My eyes began to open wide to the "Green" way of life. I slowly bought reusable plastic bags, bought organic foods and began to recycle everything. I am a waster and I believe that I still am learning about waste and living organically (which is a topic for a whole other post). I ritualistically take reusable bags to the grocery store once a week for my shopping. And I secretly "stare down" the busy bodies and strollers in the store who don't bring their reusable bags to place their groceries in. In my mind this is the simplest way to save the trees and have less plastics in landfills. Well, a funny thing happened to me.....I left our mountain top to run errands not realizing I traveled the 7 miles through windy roads to the nearest Trader Joe's and forgot my valuable reusable plastic bags. Having an anxiety attack in the car I bravely walked into the store. I felt like every person in the Trader Joe's was now staring me down. This is exactly what I deserve. At the check out I cringed knowing the cashier hated me for wasting 10 paper bags. I was screaming bloody murder inside. My loving husband reassured me that the store security cameras were zooming in on me putting a big red X over my face with the word waster flashing and taking my name and personal info. I promise I will never forget my reusable bags again. The pet peeve pressure was too much for me to handle.

No comments: