Friday, August 13, 2010

US Open of Surfing


Thank heavens this huge tournament doesn't occur on our pier. Thousands, I mean thousands, of people gather for this yearly event. We were going to beach cruise to it. Yep, no biggie, it had to only be 5 miles at the most, we are in shape, young people. Well, luckily we clocked it in the car when we took a recent drive to Huntington. 7.5 miles? That's a 15 mile round trip on our cruisers. No thanks! So, we racked the cruisers on the FJ and parked a couple miles from the Huntington Beach pier ( that's the closest parking spot we could find at 9:00am, yes I said thousands). We watched Slatron and the final heat of Men's surfing, ate at Duke's, bought some useful tourist gear (I love my $5 Hurley canteen), and then watched Caballero shred in the skate comp. By the end of the day I was so grateful for our couple mile bike ride to the car. One day of the Open is definitely all we can handle a year, I can't wait for next.


1 comment:

Erin C said...

So much fun! Wish I was still there or visiting!!